Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Postscripts: Remembering Milenyo

Ok, I haven't been posting for a long time. But aside from the usual excuse that I've been busy (and a good deal dizzy not only with work, but due to a medical condition), I've been having connection problems with my dial-up service.

Thanks to my handy, new Sony Ericsson K800i's 3.2 megapixel camera , I was able to record moments and the almost surreal experience of living through a Typhoon Milenyo's howling vengeance. Driving through strong winds, walking through the streets in search of drinking water, food, or candles, running from the sweltering heat by checking in at the nearby Eurotel, the only place with a vacancy on that stormy day--I almost felt like I was part of a reality tv show. Seeing age-old trees uprooted and so much vegetation, power lines, and billboards wrenched from the ground like they were threads made me feel even more puny in the face of nature's power. We had regular power only after 3 days, some for a week or longer. Internet and mobile lines were unstable for a time. I'm just having some trouble uploading my images from September 28 as I passed through BF Homes Pque and Ayala Alabang Villages. Will do so later.

The one shocking-humorous experience was finding out (rather naively?) that there were only 2 tv channels available in the motel, and they were x-rated. I promptly pulled the plug and told the kids that the tv was dead. So we watched only DVDs on the laptop for our entire stay there.

No comments: