Thursday, November 17, 2005

Maidless in Manila

Taking a breather. I've been without a maid for the past 10 days.

The irony of it is that you let them go because they were inefficient or really lazy.

Then you realize 15 lbs, 4 eyebags and 7 wrinkles later that better to have another pair of hands than to make a go of it on your own.

I've wondered if it's unusual to be maidless in Manila, where it's a status symbol to have a cordon of maids in white following your every move, carrying your every trinket.

I've sort of gotten used to NOT having them around. Not even in school to carry the kids' bags. I feel they don't move fast enough.

NOw, is that pride talking.

But due to my tiredness I've hardly the energy to access my e-mail, even via my wifi laptop. Takes too long. Haven't even paid attention to my old pal, Tungsten T2.

So nature took it's course for my gadget: he died on me from lack of energy and attention as well. And since I didn't charge it for just 3 days, it suddenly became amnesiac when I ressurected it--all my data was gone. Didn't sync it for the past 2 months--yes, that long. Guilty as charged.

Lesson: make sure you sync all the time. But I digress. . .

If there's any good thing that about having no maids, it's that your kids appreciate you more because they feel you pay more attention to what they need. In every aspect.

Yup, the bright side of being maidless. . . I'm rationalizing, right? I still see the dark circles round my eyes, and my frame is thinner, though not necessarily sexier. However, at least I can get into that slim evening gown that I've had for the past 2 years but never wore.

No comments: